Our family listened to over 100,000 minutes of music in 2015 (20% more than 2014!) from 1009 different artists. Out of the 2,216 different songs I listened to I’ve narrowed it down to the top 100 songs of 2015. There weren’t any clear “song of the year” candidates this year. I like pretty much every song in the top 5 equally – it was tough to pick a #1.
In 2015, women ruled the Indie music world – with 7 of my top 10 songs. According to Spotify, Purity Ring and Chvrches were my two favorite bands of 2015. Those two female-fronted bands (as well as Grimes!) have a huge presence in my top 100 and were easily my favorite groups of 2015.
Biggest shocker – a Mumford song in my top 5 (for most of the year it was my #1)! Totally risking my indie-street cred.
Speaking of which, if you follow indie music at all, you’ll find that most “Top Songs of _____” are trying really hard to be cool and prove their hipster-ness.
My Top Songs list is Indie Music for the Masses – Indie Music that’s actually enjoyable to listen to (not grating avant-garde or sleep-inducing-singer-songwriter).
Most of these songs are Indie-pop, Indie-rock, or Indietronica.
To further explore amazing music, here are a few bonus lists:
- My Top 6 Albums of 2015
- Here is (on Spotify) my Top Songs from 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009
Click “Follow” at the top of Spotify if you want to add any of the playlists to your sidebar of lists.
Here are my 100 favorite songs of 2015 (click to play individual tracks or here to play the full list in Spotify):
90. Radar – GRRL PAL
82, Superego – Leyya
80. America – XYLØ
74. Realiti – Grimes
69. Hello – Adele – not too cool to put this song on here
62. Home – Madeon
61. Fourth of July – Sufjan Stevens – great song. A little too slow and depressing to get much play time on the ol’ minivan stereo
51. I Thought the Future Would Be Cooler – YACHT – this song sums up my youngest child (and many college students!) perfectly. Always bored in a futuristic world. A la Louis CK’s “Everything is amazing and nobody’s happy”
41. Dreams – Beck
34. Gosh – Jamie xx – Give this song a chance. Incredibly infectious.
33. Lost It To Trying – Paper Towns Mix – Son Lux – one of my girls’ favorite songs of 2015
31. AhHa – Nate Ruess – probably my kids’ favorite song of 2015. Bonus points for randomly quoting a e. e. cummings poem during the chorus
26. Animal – HAERTS
20. At Once – Beirut – a great song from a disappointing album (was really looking forward to this album from one of my favorite bands)
19. John My Beloved – Sufjan Stevens – A sincere, longing song about Jesus. You don’t hear that much in the indie world. Sufjan wrestling with whether Jesus is just a myth or alive and active.
15. Easily – Grimes
10. Eventually – Tame Impala – a great, sincere breakup song
6. The Thunder Answered Back – Eskimeaux – super quirky and really good.
5. Snake Eyes – Mumford & Sons – was my favorite song of the year for much of the year
4. Belly of the Beat – Grimes – it was hard to pick my favorite Grimes song. In the last couple months, I’ve had Grimes on repeat. She’s super talented – she plays and produces everything you hear on the album (instruments and vocals).
3. Lemon Eyes – Meg Myers – really wanted to put this one at #1. Amazing debut song for her and best indie rock song of 2015.